Posted on February 08, 2018 by
When we talk about smart phones and smart devices, we tend to think of computers, applications, and the Internet. In fact, so-called smart devices have made aspects of our daily lives easier. We can get instant weather updates through our phones and can even have an Internet-connected refrigerator order our groceries for us for door-to-door delivery!
Why You Should Consider a Smart Gas Meter
One thing that many homeowners do not think about is smart meters connected to their homes. Whether you have an existing gas installation or want the benefits that gas offers the average homeowner, a smart gas meter installation done by an experienced company is a great idea.
So, what is a smart meter and what benefits does it offer? Consider the following:
- Easy: A smart meter has a digital readout of all of the gas consumed in a home. This means that it is easier for tenants and homeowners to keep track of how much gas they are using and will need to pay for.
- Data: The key difference between the smart gas meter and the old gas meters is that these new ones actually transmit gas usage data periodically to the gas company. Normally, a gas meter reader has to come out to each gas-connected home, take a reading, and then communicate this reading back to the gas company so that an accurate bill can be made up for payment. This is inconvenient for the contractor, the gas company, and the tenants or homeowners. In fact, where the gas meter reader has not been able to access the meter, they have even had to come up with an average usage pattern. This can result in overcharging.
Why Use Gas in a Home?
Lots of homeowners are turning to natural gas for their energy needs. This is because it offers some key benefits that an all-electric home does not. If you are thinking about converting your home to natural gas, here are some reasons why it makes good sense in this day and age:
- Environmental: The fact is that using natural gas in the home reduces our carbon footprint on the environment. Coal-fired power stations are dirty and bad for the environment. When we rely only on electricity, we are increasing our carbon footprint. Natural gas is a much cleaner source of energy.
- Cost-Effective: Due to environmental concerns, the cost of electricity has steadily been rising in many parts of the world. Natural gas offers any homeowner a way to take advantage of a cheaper source of energy.
- Control: If you have ever done any cooking with electric hot plates, you’ll understand that it can be a frustrating experience. One lacks true control in the kitchen by using electricity and it is not uncommon for food to be overcooked. Natural gas, on the other hand, provides a direct source of heat. This means that controlling it is a lot easier. One can heat as much or as little as wanted immediately without having to wait around for an electric hotplate.
Natural gas in a home is warm, cheap, and convenient. Using a smart meter is even better because it transmits real-time usage to the gas company so one never has to overpay or let in the gas meter reader again!